Friday, March 12, 2010

Stepping Out


Depending on where you live in the world, you may be looking at the calendar right now, or surveying your yard wondering, "When the he&% is it going to be Spring?" That's what I've been thinking about. It's been a fast transition around my area from snowy to muddy, but it couldn't really come soon enough. We desperately needed outside time. And color other than gray and beige and brown. I finally am starting to see glimmers of hope.

Like the other day when we ran over to the pond behind the library to feed the ducks. The ice is coming off the water, and the snow is quickly disappearing. The snowmen we built in our yard three weeks ago (seemed to be huge at the time) are now just memories. And buds (buds!) are clearly visible on the bushes and trees in the yard. So it is coming, eventually. Now I only wish that there was a single flower in my yard. But alas, there are none. All the better for me to take under my wing and transform, right!?

And I've got big plans for the yard. A vegetable garden with squash, peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and pumpkins (for sure!). I want all the perennials I had at my old house, like rhubarb, peonies, bee balm, and black-eyed susan. And this year, I decided to buy 1/2 pound of wildflower seeds and try my hand at creating an all-native garden in my front yard. Yes, a bit to bite off given I'll be pretty preggo when the time comes to make all this happen. But, that's what husbands are for, eh?

So what are you itching to do, now that the Spring fever has infected the population? Got any bugs?

No comments: