Tuesday, October 12, 2010

American Girl


My grandma Betty got me into American Girl dolls. I was never a doll kind of girl, but she loved dolls and had one that looked like each of her daughters and granddaughters. My likeness is named Lindsey, the first ever American Girl doll of the year from 2001. My grandma passed away about five years ago and I keep little Lindsey at my house now. She's got curly brown hair just like me. I think American Girl originally started in Middleton, Wisconsin, which isn't far from where I grew up.

Now my little nieces love the dolls and they each have one. So my mom and I decided to treat them to a trip to the "big city" of Chicago to American Girl Place for a little shopping and tea. It was a blast. Of course the weather in the windy city was, well, windy, but other than that we had a great time.

My own little sweetie isn't quite big enough for dolls yet, but I was really tempted to get a little Bitty Twin for her. But, I think I got swept up in the moment so I just decided to try to be rational (does a three-month-old really need a doll?) and came home empty handed. Even though I wasn't a doll person as a kid, I couldn't help but be impressed by the quality, detail and historical accuracy of these doll's accessories and the stories they tell about their lives.

I really did get caught up in the excitement about these dolls, so I went searching for knitting patterns for making American Girl clothes and accessories. I found quite a few really cute ones. I mean, how long can it possibly take to knit mittens for someone who's only 18 inches tall? I figure I can crank a few of these out for Christmas no problem. And that's just my kind of project!

I'm listing links here to the patterns I thought were the nicest. This list ranges from outfits to hats to socks and mittens to underpants. Have fun!

Summer Fun Ensemble
Empire Waist Dress
Cardigan and Pullover Sweaters
Boxy Cardigan
Faux Fur Coat and Hat
Tiny Socks
Mary Jane shoes
Fancy Panties
Mittens

1 comment:

Jen said...

Did Lindsey get to make the trip, too?