Thursday, July 29, 2010

Potty Talk


My little guy is about to turn three. I've been reflecting a little bit on what amazes me about him the most. Right now, I'm amazed at how big he is, but mostly that's in relation to the new little TINY arrival at our house. But what's really big about him right now is his vocabulary and his ability to basically carry on a conversation with just about anyone on almost any topic. Take for instance a conversation we had this morning in the bathroom.

Me: "Good job, buddy! Way to go on the potty and not in your undees."
Little Pumpkin: "Yeah mom! I made a poop for you!"
Me: "You sure did! Awesome! It's no fun to poop in your drawers, much better to go on the potty!"
Little Pumpkin: "Look! My poop is like a banana! Yum!"

No kidding. I know, gross, right? Oddly, this is not the first time he's spontaneously made up a poop analogy (the first had to do with a bird's nest). And it's definitely not the only analogy he's made up on his own, either. The others were not so gross, such as "I'm sailing like a ship" when he went down the Slip-N-Slide. I had no idea that two-year-olds could make up their own analogies! Amazing! And with such flair...he really keeps me entertained.

I guess I'll keep up the reading regimen since I can see the rewards in his creative language skills. I can't wait to see what he's talking about by the time he's four! It's sure to be a thrilling year full of bananas and bird's nests and who knows what!

2 comments:

ImplausibleYarn said...

The first time my nephew who was maybe four told me that the weather outside was "blustery" I decided I needed to upgrade my reading material. Four year olds shouldn't use more precise vocabulary than their 22 year old aunts. It blew my mind a little.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

What a clever little guy! Though I'm suddenly grossed out by my breakfast banana.