Wednesday, October 22, 2008

De-Stash...and I Don't Mean "Dustache"


I don't have nearly as much of a stash as some folks, but I have collected my fair share of fabrics over the years. Most of them are great, but they do seem to take up a lot of space. And I guess what really bothers me is that they are great, and they do deserve a great purpose in life. So tonight I decided to start setting them free by making this onesie.

This is a really easy project to pull off.

1. Take an embroidery hoop and use a fabric pencil to trace it's shape around something cool on a piece of fabric (I used the strawberry)
2. Then, trace the same hoop on a piece of fusible interfacing
3. Cut out the shapes (cut the interfacing a little smaller so that it doesn't hang outside the edges of the fabric at all
4. Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric
5. Peel the backing off the interfacing
6. Iron your fabric onto your tee shirt/onesie/whatever you want
7. Use a zigzag stitch to sew right around the outside of your circle
8. You could even add an embellishment over the top of this, like a button or some rick rack if it needed "sprucing" (Just don't use buttons if you're making this for a baby because they can get pulled off, choked on, etc.)

Have fun!

3 comments:

Jen said...

2 cute! Let your inner strawberry shine!

Anonymous said...

You think I could fit in that?

Tanno said...

You know, I usually have this problem but I put a rule in place where I could not accept or buy new fabric until I had significantly run down my current stash. Sadly, I am now having the opposite problem. Too little fabric and low fundage! How did I ever get into this mess? It is the cr4afty equivalent of the Lehman Brothers collapse.