Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tee Shirt Bag Reconstruction Project


My sister emailed me the other day with the promise of making a million dollars overnight. Pyramid scheme? Selling our panties on eBay? No! Making market bags out of t-shirts! Recycling is so 2008, according to Al Gore and Leo diCaprio, right? I'm on board, treehugger that I am.

So I've had this t-shirt that says "Phillies" since high school. Back then it was "fashionable" to be a teenage girl who wore shirts 20 sizes too big. I think. Or maybe it was just me. So anyway, back to the shirt. I got it at Goodwill and I wear it now as a sleep tee. Well, not anymore. After tonight I'll be selling my t-shirt for ONE MILLION DOLLARS to the first bidder. It's pretty fly, I think.

It was really easy to make, and I'll have to draw up a tutorial if anyone wants it. My sister wanted a prototype so this is what I've come up with. Stylish, sturdy, and easy to smoosh into your purse or glove box for that impromtu stop at the local co-op or farmer's market. What could be better?!

7 comments:

Granny said...

How are we going to make our million if you give the pattern to everyone??????

MoM

Jen said...

I'd love the tutorial. I've got some hideous t-shirts that would make perfect bags.

jen said...

You are so cool. I'm putting my "bag" back on my head.

DK said...

That is awesome. I could totally use more bags to forget next to my back door whenever we go to the co-op. I would say that I'm going to go sifting through all my old t-shirts but I have neither the equipment nor the gumption to actually do anything with them.

gretchenstitches said...

That is so neat! I have recently started cutting up some of my old t-shirts (into strips) to knit into rugs, but if you would be so kind as to share your tutorial with me, I could save a couple of the out to make some bags...

Missy said...

Awesome! I would love the tutorial.

Phillies: best font of an pro-sport.

woof nanny said...

I wish I had seen this earlier. The last challenge on my purse blog was to make a bag from tees. If you post the tutorial, I'll still link it.
http://iwannanewbag.blogspot.com