Monday, August 25, 2008

Spoonflower Fabric Girl's Outfit


Spoonflower has got to be one of the greatest inventions ever, right? Although the real, sad truth of the matter is that I'm not graphically inclined, so it's really tough for me. I tried a few things and thought the results were okay. But seeing what others are doing made me realize I should stick to what I know. Can't teach this old dog new tricks.

I think the best idea I had was to use my niece's artwork to have some custom fabric made for her birthday. That fabric turned out pretty good (despite the fact that it had black lines all over it...me not knowing how to do the graphics, bah!). Then I ordered up a great vintage dress pattern on Etsy and set to work.


Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I decided to make a set rather than a dress. I also discovered that my new sewing machine did not come with a zipper foot (What the hell? Is that normal??), so I sewed in the back zipper with my regular foot. I added a band to the top of the pleated part (the custom fabric) that coordinates with the shirt and put elastic in it. I took a queue from my recent hat creation and sewed on a little decorative flower to tie it all together.

I sure hope she likes it! It felt like the whole process (from getting the artwork, scanning it in, uploading it, getting the fabric in the mail, putting in that darn zipper to sewing on that little flower) took about three months. It probably won't even fit her that long!!! Oh well, it's always the "thought that counts" right?

1 comment:

Jen said...

She's gonna love it.And expect couture her whole life!